During the 15 year span of her professional dancing career, Angela has immersed herself in multiple cultures. She has gathered and absorbed various skills and experiences from each country, company, choreographer and colleague.
Born and raised in South Africa Angela danced with Joburg Youth Ballet and joined her first professional company Ballet Theatre Afrikan. After 3 years, at the age of 20, California became Angela’s home for 5 years where she worked for State Street Ballet in Santa Barbara. She performed soloist roles with the company in both Classical and Neo- Classical genres. The company performed locally and had annual tours throughout the United States.
In 2012 Angela returned to South Africa to guest with Cape Town City Ballet and Cape Dance Company. In 2013, Angela auditioned in Europe and was accepted as one of 22 dancers with the prestigious Opera de Ballet du Grand Theatre de Geneve, Geneva Ballet. Switzerland and the Opera House became Angela’s new home for the following 5 years whilst performing for Geneva Ballet and traveling with the company throughout the world.
Angela completed her Advanced II Cecchetti examinations as well as received her ballet teacher’s diploma in South Africa. Teaching has been an integrated part of Angela’s career since 2008. Trained in both Cecchetti and Vaganova methods of ballet, Angela thrives in finding methods for the individual student or class of students to best come to know and understand their own bodies better.
Angela is a qualified Pilates and Gyrotonic trainer as well as certified in the Progressing Ballet Technique method of training.
Through years of learning from different teachers and master trainers and working at various studios from South Africa to USA to Switzerland and France, Angela truly enjoys working with students in deepening their understanding of the body through personally designed classes.
Angela expresses her love of movement, dance and performing in her continual engagement with multiple contrasting choreographers in USA and Switzerland where she currently returns to perform project based work.
• For over 10 years Angela has included teaching as a part of her life alongside her professional dancing career. She began teaching back in 2008.
• Angela is currently teaching in Los Angeles and San Diego, California
• She has been teaching at The Industry Dance Academy since 2018
• Since 2013 Angela has been on faculty teaching for The Joffrey Ballet Summer Intensives under the direction of Mrs Josie Walsh in both Los Angeles and San Francisco.
• For the past 2 years Angela has prepared young dancers for the Youth American Grand Prix Ballet Competition.
• She has also travelled to Singapore as a guest teacher where Angela held the first Joffrey Ballet Audition for Mrs Walsh as well as prepared one young student for YAGP who qualified to participate in the New York finals.